Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

For those who are not culturally inclined or who live as hermits I would like to point something out - a holy time in Canadian life has begun. A pilgrimage that will mean the spilling of blood, the pouring out of sweat, and the saying of countless prayers over the next 10 months or so - Yes, NHL hockey has begun for another seaon and that can only mean one thing...that's right HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA IS BACK!!

Tonight is the season premier of what is probably the single most important broadcast series in the history of this nation. 2 games broadcast back-to-back are on the air tonight. The first game is already 2/3rds complete, and fans are treated to either a fantastic Battle of Ontario (Toronto at Ottawa) or a match between Vancouver vs. Detriot depending on what part of the country they live in. The second game that will air later is a meeting of epic proportions - the first of several meetings between the Calgary Flames and that other team from a bit further north.

So, as I'm packing for my trip to Calgary this weekend, I will be keeping one and half eyes on the game...I'll try not to forget anything. Tomorrow afternoon I will be driving to Grande Prairie will I will stay overnight before catching a 7am flight to Calgary - of course that means being at the airport somewhere between 5:30 and 6am... It'll be good to be with my family for Thanksgiving this year after being away in Australia last year at this time.

No comments: