Monday, September 04, 2006

Labour Day Weekend

Well, I've been in Calgary since early Friday morning (5am). It's been a great weekend. I had two reasons to be in the city this week - firstly because it was a long weekend and I had an opportunity to get down and see my parents and friends and secondly because two of my very good friends were getting married on Saturday.

Mr. & Mrs. Michael and Lindsay Decker were united in marriage on Friday, September 2, 2006. The wedding started about half an hour late, no suprise there, but was absolutely beautiful. There is a profound difference between the wedding of a relative who you don't really know all that well and the wedding of two close friends who you've spent a great deal of time with over several years.

I actually got to see it several times, as I was at the rehersal Friday night as well. I ran the sound board for the wedding, so I needed to be there for the rehersal. But on Saturday I felt so happy for my friends as they took their vows and exchanged rings. I was so caught up in the ceremony that at the end of the wedding service I forgot to turn my father's (who was performing the marriage) microphone back on so that he could present the couple to the attendees.

The reception went well, and the food was delicious. The chose a roast beef dinner with gravy and veggies. The wedding cake was chocolate with blue icing (that stained teeth and tongues). And of course, there was a chocolate fountain...which I didn't get a chance to partake of. As Lindsay was born in Edmonton, Alberta and Michael is a Newfoundlander, it was necessary for Lindsay to be made an honourary Newfoundlander by way of the traditional ceremony. Lindsay's father, Kerry and his best friend (and Emcee for the night), both Newfoundlanders themselves, performed the ceremony. Lindsay was required to eat a Purity Lemon Cream biscuit, drink pure Purity Syrup, and kiss the fish. The fish is traditionally a cod fish, but as there are strict restrictions on the cod fishing industry they used a salmon, a 13-pounder.

Sunday I went to church and then down to the Guy house for a late brunch, the gift opening and a Newfie coldplate dinner. Lindsay was given a set of plates from one of her grandmothers, which have been collected over several years. It was very moving to see Lindsay open that gift - more than one member of the family shed tears.

Sunday evening I watched a movie with my parents, which was nice. We haven't spent a lot of time together over the last few months since I moved up north - even though I've been down to Calgary 4 times in the past month.

Today we've just relaxed around the house. Mom and I had a game of Scrabble before lunch and then Dad joined us for a second game over lunch. In the afternoon Dad and I had a couple of games of chess out on the back deck - I let him win them both after I devestated him on Friday.

We're having a BBQ for dinner and then I'll have to get ready to head back up to Peace River. I kind of wish I could stay a bit longer down here. It's been so great to spend so much time around my friends and family. But I have a job waiting for me back up north and tomorrow there is work to be done. I'll be back in Calgary for Thanksgiving in mid-October and then again for Christmas, so I have those times to look forward to.

1 comment:

Fred and Wendy said...

It was great having you home for a few hours!