Monday, September 11, 2006

I love my job!!

Well, for the past while a lot of people have been asking me how I am finding life in Peace River. And the answer: I really do like my job. I'm having a tough time adjusting to my life here. Not being able to get things easily at the stores I'm used to. Few choices at the movies (actually I haven't even gone since I moved here - and three movies without going to a movie is very unusual for me). No bowling alley. No Wal-Mart to pick things up at quickly. It's a very different life. And my family and the friends I have known and grown so close to over the past six years are all an eight hour drive away, which turns into a 13 hour Greyhound ride. It's been tough.

But I do love my job!! And this is where I am right now. I had started to get very discouraged up here, but lately things have started to turn around for the better. Here are some things from last week that have brightened up my life:

- New "after school program" for elementary age children 5 days a week
- Partnership with Katimavik to increase our resources and "people power" to make a larger impact on our community, as well as contributing to the leadership development of the participants
- Promoting Jr. Youth Councils (4 kids probably going already, my goal is 10)
- New drop-in centre service started last week
- Re-arranging Family Service hours to provide greater diversity in when our services are offered
- Going to get a car within the month (hopefully)
- All those little blessings that I generally forget but that help to keep me going day by day
- The support and encouragement of my parents
- Joshua 1:9 "Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take."

2 comments:

Fred and Wendy said...

We pray for you everday...and have confidence in your spiritual gifts, and in your passion to make a difference.

Faye said...

I admire you for your courage and determination. God has great things in store for you. I'll keep praying for you. .....Not even a bowling alley? Tsk Tsk