Friday, November 17, 2006

The weekend is here...

Yes, I know it's only Friday morning, but the weekend has arrived (at least for me). I have accumulated my hours for the pay period, and am released until Monday.

This weekend I intend to write an essay, watch a couple of movies, play some Xbox, do a bit of cooking...a very relaxed few days I must say. And then of course Monday is a half-day at work, and I have Tuesday off. Don't worry, I'm not completely slacking off - come Wednesday things pick up again as we start our Christmas Kettles.

Winter continues up here. One thing we don't get is Chinooks - and after 6 years in Calgary I was getting used to those mild spells during the winter. So, while temperatures rise to above zero in Calgary, Peace River is currently sitting at -16 and 50cms or so of snow on the ground. So, we just take a bit longer to get dressed and then go about our business as usual - and don't forget the ice cream or slushie...can't forget those to round out a good ol' fashion Canadian winter.

Last night I went to a community meeting to discuss a establishing a soup kitchen in town. The previous soup kitchen shut down due to personnel/financial/organisational reasons and has not been operating for 6 or 7 months now. The Poverty Action Committee (a local group committed to advocacy and awareness of poverty issues - of which I am a part as a representative of the Salvation Army) has been looking at the issue and called this meeting to try to bring community members together to try to look at solutions to this problem - while hoping to bring great awareness to the need for a living wage and increased affordable housing. About 35 people attended, including the Mayor, several well-to-do local business people, church representatives, the press, and concerned members of the community. The response was very encouraging! The Poverty Action Committee will be meeting again on Tuesday (a day off for me - but I'll be there) and we'll discuss the feedback each of us received and look at pulling together those who indicated they were willing to be involved in this to get the ball rolling - and fast!!

Well, it's time that I should get to work and write an essay. Take care all!!

2 comments:

Fred and Wendy said...

Yes Chinooks are wonderful. It's 8 pm and 10 degrees in Calgary. Glad you are enjoying ministry in a small town - there are lots of exciting opportunities when you are THE Salvation Army in your 'own' community.

Michael D said...

Jason,

Sounds like a great committee to be a part of in Peace River. How are things so far with you? Are you still missing Calgary? Send me an email sometime.

Take care!