Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another me?

Well, it might just be so!! I met one of the pastors in town yesterday for lunch. He's relatively new to the whole pastor scene, as his background is in evangelism...namely, he was a travelling evangelist. He came up the the Peace Country to do just that, and somehow got convinced to take on a church in town. The church has just recently changed denominations and names, and is now the Victory Church of the Peace. It's a small church, about the same size as the one I attend, but has a slightly younger congregation, with more families.

Anyways, during our lunch we discovered just how much we have in common. To start things off, when he asked what I was going to order, I told him the chicken taco salad...which was precisely what he was going to order. We talked and got to know a bit about each other, and it was scary to discover how much we have in common. The purpose of our meeting was to discuss a possible partnership between Family Services and his church to run a Pioneer Club. While he wasn't sure if his congregation had any more time and energy to give, he assured me that he'd bring this up with them to see if it could work. He really likes the idea of the churches working together, which I was very glad to hear. But above all, this older man (compared to me, maybe mid to late-thirties) has all the energy, enthusiasm and passion that those who know me would expect to see in me...it was kind of scary...and very cool!! Two people like me in one town...what more could a person ask for.

Well, I've decided that I'm NOT going to try to get an apartment here in town. I've decided to hold on to that money to save for a dream of mine that I've been holding on to for a while now and not doing anything to work towards. Already I've begun to save and do some investigating to figure how to achieve this dream of mine. I'm not going to say exactly what it is, although some people already know, but I will say that this is a BIG dream!!

This past weekend was PeaceFest here in town. Main Street was blocked off to traffic, and the street performers, produce stands, and more were out all day Saturday. The fire department hooked up a truck and made a box that they filled with foam for the kids to play in. The Toys for Tots motorcycle run was also held on Saturday, which collects toys for the Salvation Army's Christmas campaign. 45 toys and over $500 dollars were donated by the community. Further donations will likely come in closer to Christmas time, when the Toys for Tots is usually held. The event is entirely organised by community members, for which I am extremely grateful!! Other attractions for the weekend included evening concerts on Friday and Saturday, horse riders on show in the Riverfront Park on Saturday, and other various events put on my local business to celebrate PeaceFest.

Take care everyone!!

1 comment:

Fred and Wendy said...

Sure sounds like you are doing well, and perhaps you have found your first "friend"! We love you and know you will do well.