Friday, February 24, 2006

Winter in Calgary

Well, winter has finally arrived in Calgary. We finally have snow and the temperature has remained below zero degrees for a few days now. It's towards the end of February now, but it has finally happened.

As many people are aware, although some many not be, I have been working on the process of applying for entrance to the Salvation Army's College for Officer Training. CFOT is located in Winnipeg, Manitoba and is the main centre for the training of Officers in Canada and Bermuda. Just a bit of background for my non-Army friends: Officers are the ordained clergy of the Salvation Army and serve as pastors, administrators, chaplains, etc. They are the principle leaders of the Salvation Army. Before a person is ordained and commissioned as an officer they normally (depending on experience and education) undergo two years of residential training at the Training College. During that time they are a Cadet. Before they can beginning training they are known as candidates. Candidates must complete several levels of testing, interviews, and applications to determine their suitability for service as an Officer.

Anyhow, I have been working on the process of applying. I have completed the preliminary papers and most of the health tests. But lately I've been very restless and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ready to go to CFOT yet. I am working my second job since returning home and already I have the urge to look at other jobs. I've lived in Calgary longer than any other place I've called home, although I have only been back in the city for a few months and I can't help but dream about going somewhere else now (nothing against Calgary or my friends here). I just can't help but think that I'm not ready to commit to something like training college yet.

Of course then I think, if I'm not going to do that, what am I going to do? I certainly don't want to work in a warehouse for another year...it's a struggle some nights to finish out the night...it just isn't my thing. Should I save up and travel some more? Do a mission trip? Look at a working visa somewhere? A course somewhere like SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) to acquire some new skills? I had started planning a backpacking trip to the UK a few years ago...maybe look at something like that again?

Don't worry, I'm not abandoning my application for training college...just re-thinking my timing...maybe I need to wait a bit longer...learn a few more things, mature a bit more, gain some experience...

Lots of maybes. Lots of questions.

No comments: